Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Getting googly and yes HIV is bad...but Hep C may be worse

Sad case...people infected with HIV (and hep C) from organ transplants.

Though c'mon media. Yes, it is definitely too bad that 4 people contracted HIV, but why did the author just mention the hepatitis C as an aside? If I had to choose one of these chronic diseases, I know which one I would choose...many co-infected patients are now dying from the Hep C complications (liver) not the HIV (antiretroviral treatments are getting better). HIV is bad, but let's not let it overshadow other contractable diseases. How many people know that there is only a 0.3% chance of contracting HIV from a infected needlestick injury versus a 3% and 30% chance from Hep C and B respectively?

And after my tough week last week, I saw this article:

I graduated university in 2005 - some of my friends went to work for Google. I think they made about 80K base (similar to investment banking base pay) and may have received a modest bonus. What's crazy is the value of their options now:


I won't lie...I'm jealous. Perhaps there is a certain amount of money for which I would forego becoming a doctor (hopefully not out of sheer greed, but rather to do cool charitable things with it).

0 comments: